When I Prayed for Rain

It’s been so hot here. Uncharacteristically hot. We’re in the end of an elongated dry season that has left each of us here begging Jesus for rain. Water sources around town have been drying up, and the city regularly turns off water in order to conserve it. 

In Kamonkoli, city water didn’t reach the village for over a week. And even when Pastor called to get the fire engine to bring water from Mbale, they said they couldn’t pick water from dry sources. People in Kamonkoli would line up for hours at the wells waiting for their turn to fill their bright yellow jerrycans. They have really suffered. 

In town, with my big water tank perched on top of my roof ready to collect water every second the city has it turned on, I really have had nothing to complain about. Yes, we’ve had days that water ran out and bathing became a luxury instead of routine, but on the whole we’ve done fine. It’s the heat that’s been the biggest challenge.

After weeks and weeks of praying, today Jesus sent the rain! …..exactly 2 minutes after Henry started removing one of two flat tires I had woken up to find. He hadn’t even finished removing the bolts and the water started pouring down. Talk about emotional roller coaster. It went something like this…. YES!!!!! RAIN!!! WAIT! WHAT?? RAIN??? Right now??? Jesus I know I’ve been begging for weeks, but couldn’t You just wait 5 more minutes. That’s it. 5. minutes. Just enough for him to get the tire switched out. Then you can open up the heavens and let it pour away! 

But the rains continued to come, and servant that he is, Henry continued to work. Drops darkening the back of his shirt while I stood covered and dry on the veranda. It was a humbling moment. Watching as Henry insisted on finishing helping me, whether or not he got soaked. Which of course he did. For my benefit. For my blessing. So that I could soak up the blessing of rain while at the same time being graciously served and cared for. It was really beautiful! 

In fact the beauty of those moments and actions helped carry me through the next 2 hours of waiting and watching the ‘tire people’ painstakingly remove every tire, check, repair, and refill them before putting them on again. All while I did my best to ignore the stares, dodge the proposals, and breathe through the stifling humidity. 

Such an African day!! Difficulties and blessings all jumbled up together in a way that kept me looking for Jesus in each moment. Seeking to praise Him for the good and the bad alike. Because He is good!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Daily Posho

Washing Clothes

I've Persevered!