Diana

I realized today that I have yet to post any pictures of my language helper! I want you to officially meet my friend and helper, Diana. Diana is the one that I spend each day with asking the questions she finds hilarious (like are there any parts of the body that it’s impolite to scratch in public?) and answering the questions I find hilarious (like why don’t muzungu women bind their stomachs after having a baby? Doesn’t that make them eat a ton to fill up that empty space??) She’s the one that laughs at my multicolored bruised arms (their bruises don’t show), and mourns over the gigantic mosquito bites covering my feet and legs that are ‘spoiling my skin.’ She’s also the one I count on to tell me what I should and shouldn’t be doing, like yesterday when I learned that proper women should wash their bed sheets every 3 days. Oh yeah, and we also study Luganda. :)


I’ll be honest with you. There are many days when I’m tired of studying. There are days when I just want to hear American English and not try anymore. And there are also days when I laugh my head off with Diana, and want nothing more than to master the next tongue twisting phrase. (Like the day I was trying to say lwachi welalikilide and figure out how to fit so many Ls in one word!) There are the discouragements like asking a question in Luganda but the person not understanding me, but there are also joys like being told that I say ‘sula bulunji’ without an American accent! Language learning is definitely a roller coaster ride, and one that I will be on for a very long time. I won’t learn Luganda today, or tomorrow, or next month, but with the Lord’s help I trust I will learn it!

And Diana and I will get in more than a few laughs along the way!

Comments

  1. I bet your laughter alone is a huge ministry to so many, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Daily Posho

Washing Clothes

I've Persevered!